Artificial intelligence has made huge leaps forward in the area of language processing. There are already quite a lot of tools available which allow teachers to input content like video or text and automatically create interactive exercises. Is it possible to take this a step further and create original content like texts and dialogues, only by using artificial intelligence? Can we use AI voice generation to create quality audio? The answer is yes.
The OpenAI research laboratory (open.com) provides the kind of tools which you can use to create content such as dialogues. The organisation was founded by Elon Musk in 2015, and more recently launched GPT-3, which is an advanced language model trained with a massive and diverse corpus of language items taken from the internet. I used their tool called “chat” to generate a dialogue for a potential lesson, and this is what came out. I only suppled the AI tool with the first and third lines of text as prompts, and the rest was automatically generated.
- Anna: So, what were the big trends in HR in your company this year?
- James: Well, we implemented a new performance management system and we’re in the process of rolling out a new benefits package.
- Anna: Will you employ more workers?
- James: Yes, we’re planning to hire about 100 new workers this year.
- Anna: How are you recruiting?
- James: Well, we’re using social media and job boards. We’re also working with our university to find some great candidates.
- Anna: What kind of people are you looking for?
- James: We’re looking for people with the right skillsets. We’re also looking for people who will fit well with our culture.
- Anna: What do you mean by “fit well into your culture”?
- James: Well, we want people who are hardworking, ambitious and team-oriented. We want them to be passionate about their work and willing to go the extra mile when necessary.
- Anna: What kind of training do you offer?
- James: We offer a variety of training programs. We have a leadership development program, we also have some programs for new managers, and we have some programs for people who are interested in moving into other departments.
- Anna: What are the biggest challenges facing your company?
- James: Well, our biggest challenge is finding the right talent. We’re always looking for great candidates to work at our company.
- Anna: Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate it.
After I created the dialogue, I used an AI voice generation tool Murf (murf.ai) to turn the AI generated dialogue into an AI generated audio file which I could use for the basis of my lesson. Click here to hear the result.
After that, it is easy enough to create elements such as multiple choice questions.
And also language focus type exercises such as “drag the words into the gaps” all using the same basic content.Or the exercise type “fill the gaps” which requires the students to produce the language.
What is astounding is that most of the work, the content creation and audio files are the work of AI and not a human. Many of the commentators are less than positive about this development. Matt Bellamy says: “In the long term, artificial intelligence and automation are going to be taking over so much of what gives humans a feeling of purpose.” Bill Gates says: “Humans should be worried about the threat posed by artificial intelligence.” This technology is widely seen as a threat to jobs, and as this article shows, it is a very real one.
No responses yet